2021 Scholarship Competition for Middle School Students CANCELLED
The application process for the 2021 Scholarships has been CANCELLED. Please check back often for details about when we will resume the process. We apologize for any inconvenience but safety and public health come first. We look forward to continuing support of our local young musicians!
Do you have, or know of, a middle school music student who could use $500 to further his/her musical studies? If so, please provide the following instructions and application.
Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to students playing an orchestral instrument. The Alfred Chavez Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a string player and the Jo Wisniewski Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a non-string orchestral instrumentalist. The scholarship may be used to pay for such music expenses as music lessons; the purchase, rental, or maintenance of an instrument; or attending a music camp. The winners will be introduced and given their awards at the Beach Cities Symphony’s opening concert in the Fall.
To be eligible, an applicant must be attending a South Bay public, private, or home school (6th, 7th, or 8th grade) at the time of application. Students of all ability levels will be considered.
Instructions – Scholarship Process CANCELLED
- Only South Bay public, private, or home school (6th, 7th, or 8th grade at the time of application) students are eligible.
- Only orchestral instrument students will be eligible.
- A recommendation letter from a music teacher (in an envelope sealed by the teacher) must be enclosed with your application. A second letter from a teacher or other adult (not a parent of the applicant) is optional and must be sealed in the same way.
- Write an essay of between 200 and 300 words, to be typed on a separate page. The essay should include answers to the following: Why are you applying? What are your goals regarding music? What do you hope to accomplish with this scholarship?
- The application must be postmarked by July 1st, 2020.
- If you are selected as a finalist, you will be asked to appear for an interview/audition at a location and time to be announced later. A piano will be available, but you must provide the accompanist.
- You may submit a cassette or CD of one or two selections, but it is not required. Include your name, composer’s name(s), and work’s title(s).
- If you are awarded this scholarship, you must appear for the presentation of the certificate at the Fall 2020, opening concert of the Beach Cities Symphony’s 2020-2021 season.
- Mail the application and the accompanying items to the address listed in THE FORM.
Past “Artists of the Future” Soloists & Scholarship Winners
Matthew Chang, Violinist
Austin Park, Cellist
Anthony Yoon, Violinist
Allison Yun, Pianist
2019 Scholarship Recipients
Rebecca Hsu, Flute
Annie Hyunbin So, Cellist
2018 Scholarship Recipient
Amelia Lu, Flute
Anthony Yoon, Violin
2017 Scholarship Recipient
Andrew Vitt, Alto Sax
Danny Park, Cello