$500 Scholarships for Deserving Middle School Students
Applications for the 2019 Scholarships Must be Postmarked by July 1st 2019
Do you have, or know of, a middle school music student who could use $500 to further his/her musical studies? If so, please provide the following instructions and application.
Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to students playing an orchestral instrument. The Alfred Chavez Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a string player and the Jo Wisniewski Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a non-string orchestral instrumentalist. The scholarship may be used to pay for such music expenses as music lessons; the purchase, rental, or maintenance of an instrument; or attending a music camp. The winners will be introduced and given their awards at the Beach Cities Symphony’s opening concert in the Fall.
To be eligible, an applicant must be attending a South Bay public, private, or home school (6th, 7th, or 8th grade) at the time of application. Students of all ability levels will be considered.
- Only South Bay public, private, or home school (6th, 7th, or 8th grade at the time of application) students are eligible.
- Only orchestral instrument students will be eligible.
- A recommendation letter from a music teacher (in an envelope sealed by the teacher) must be enclosed with your application. A second letter from a teacher or other adult (not a parent of the applicant) is optional and must be sealed in the same way.
- Write an essay of between 200 and 300 words, to be typed on a separate page. The essay should include answers to the following: Why are you applying? What are your goals regarding music? What do you hope to accomplish with this scholarship?
- The application must be postmarked by July 1st 2019.
- If you are selected as a finalist, you will be asked to appear for an interview/audition at a location and time to be announced later. A piano will be available, but you must provide the accompanist.
- You may submit a cassette or CD of one or two selections, but it is not required. Include your name, composer’s name(s), and work’s title(s).
- If you are awarded this scholarship, you must appear for the presentation of the certificate at the Fall 2019, opening concert of the Beach Cities Symphony’s 2019-2020 season.
- Mail the application and the accompanying items to the address listed in the form.
Past “Artists of the Future” Scholarship Winners/Soloists
Matthew Chang, Violinist
Austin Park, Cellist
Anthony Yoon, Violinist
Allison Yun, Pianist